Thursday, March 15, 2007

Moorish Apricot Delight Biscotti


Another biscotti recipe from the delightful little tome, Biscotti. I really could not taste the saffron (the author advises not to use more than 8 filaments, or the cookies can develop a medicinal taste). The recipe called for a 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, which I left out, substituting a teaspoon of orange zest. The cookies were still tasty, and absolutely beautiful to look at. They look like they are studded with jewels! What did I like best about them? The apricots - they pack a huge flavor wallop. I enjoyed them so much, I'm probably going to add more to the next batch, as well as additional orange zest!
Moorish Apricot Delight Biscotti
  • 8 saffron filaments
  • 2 Tablespoons orange juice
  • 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup apricot halves, finely chopped (spray your knife with cooking spray to make this easier)
  • 2/3 cup pistachio nuts
Preheat oven to 325 F and set rack in the middle.
Sprinkle saffron onto orange juice in a small oven proof bowl. Heat in preheated 325 F oven for 5 minutes to infuse flavor.
In a separate mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, orange juice with saffron, and zest. In another bowl, combine flour, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients until well mixed. Fold in apricots and nuts.
Divide dough in half. On a greased and floured baking sheet (or a Silpat) roll dough into two separate logs about 12 inches long, 1 1/2 - 2 inches wide, and about 1 - 1 1/2 inches tall.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned (I had to bake them for 35 minutes, but your oven may be different). Remove from oven, transfer logs carefully to cooling rack, and cool for about 5-10 minutes.

Place logs on cutting board and slice cookies about 1/2 inch thick, using a serrated knife positioned at a 45 degree angle. Lay slices flat on baking sheet and return to oven to dry out, about 10-12 minutes total. After about 5 minutes, turn the cookies over. Let cool on rack.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathy YL Chan said...

Success! Those are the prettiest biscotti I've seen in a long time, it looks like summer already! :)

March 15, 2007 7:12 AM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

Thank you, Kathy!

March 15, 2007 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the color in those! Like precious gems....

Hopefully some of your baking energy might rub off on me. There are days when I'm in the mood for baking but unfortunately, those days are far and few between!

March 16, 2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

Rowena, I didn't bake much at all last year so I'm trying to remedy that this year.

March 16, 2007 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, those are so beautiful! I've never made biscotti before. I'm going to try this recipe. The pistachios sold it to me. :)

The first photo is stunning.

Mae

April 03, 2007 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home