Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Easy and Tasty Candied Nuts



This recipe is easy and oh-so-tasty. I can't tell you how many candied nut recipes I tried before I settled on this adaptation a few years ago. I found it originally on an internet bulletin board.
What I discovered during a lengthy experimentation process is twofold: (1) a complicated recipe, and/or (2) many ingredients do NOT make a better candied nut. I've fried them, sauteed them, baked them. I've used recipes with as many as seven or eight spices. Some of the results were literally indedible, and I was forced to throw the whole batch of nuts out. An expensive experiment!

Candied Walnuts

People love these nuts, and often ask me for the recipe. So here it is, Easy and Tasty Candied Pecans!

  • 1 egg white
  • 1 Tablespoon cold water
  • 1 pound pecan halves, or walnuts (about 4 cups)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Grease rimmed baking sheet with butter (optional).

Place nuts in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients thoroughly. In a small bowl, beat egg white with water until thick and foamy. Pour egg white mixture over nuts and toss them with your hands until they are thoroughly coated. Add sugar mixture and mix well.

Spread nuts on baking sheet and bake for one hour. Turn nuts once after about thirty minutes.

Notes: feel free to add another spice, such as cardamom or allspice, but keep it simple.

Related link: Sour Cream Streusel Coffee Cake

5 Comments:

Blogger Brilynn said...

I love candied nuts, it's a problem, I'll eat them all in one sitting.

February 28, 2007 6:32 PM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

Yes! These things are addictive! FYI, I love your blog!

February 28, 2007 7:01 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

YESSS!!!! Several days ago I went to epicurious to collect as many candied nut recipes that I could find. NONE of them called for egg whites which is the one ingredient I remember using at a previous restaurant. I forgot the recipe buy yours looks to be a winner. I am making these today!

March 02, 2007 2:41 AM  
Blogger Rowena said...

P.S. The Indonesian ginger chicken was delish!

March 02, 2007 2:42 AM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

Woo-hoo! Glad to hear it! And enjoy the nuts!

March 02, 2007 6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home