Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Braised Brussels Sprouts

Another easy vegetable recipe from Molly Stevens's All About Braising. Stevens says that this may convert Brussels sprout haters, but I doubt it. It does take the edge off the sprouts, making them less pungent, but they still taste like Brussels sprouts! Luckily, we like that. I adapted the recipe by adding a touch of lemon zest.

Creamy Braised Brussels Sprouts
Adapted from "All About Braising" by Molly Stevens
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 lemon

Trim base of each sprout, discard ragged outer leaves, and then slice each one in half, thirds, or quarters (if they are very large). The point here is to have a bunch of pieces that are approximately the same size. Each wedge should be about 1/2 inch across.

Melt butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. When the foaming stops, add the sprouts, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sprouts begin to brown.

Pour in the cream, add the lemon zest, and stir. Cover pan and reduce heat to low simmer. Braise until sprouts are tender, about 30-35 minutes. The cream will have reduced and will be a light tan color.

Remove the cover, squeeze in lemon juice (squeeze from lemon half), and adjust seasoning. Simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes to thicken cream to a glaze that coats sprouts. Serves 4 to 6.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Yum! I just began cooking brussel sprouts this year. I was convinced I hated them, then thought...I like cabbage, so what's the issue? Now, I cook them a good deal and am always looking for fabulous recipes. This one is great!

March 28, 2007 11:41 PM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

It is a good recipe, and it's full of cancer fighting ingredients, to boot!

March 29, 2007 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Madam Chow you keep blowing me away with these wonderful (and simple!) ideas. We love brussel sprouts but I will admit that I'm lazy when it comes to cooking them. Instead, I buy them already prepared from the deli. What a cheater!

The first thing to catch my eye was the mention of cream. Jotting down an extra item on the shopping list for this weekend!

March 30, 2007 10:51 AM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

Ah, yes, cream! Along with butter, one of my favorite food groups. Heh,heh.

March 30, 2007 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home