Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Falling Cloudberries

What a lovely name, for a lovely book. I discovered Falling Cloudberries, by Tessa Kiros, via Who Wants Seconds, which posted a mouth-watering cinnamon and cardamom buns recipe, which I must try.

Despite my best efforts, I could not resist temptation and logged on to Amazon.com. Sigh. The book is a U.K. publication, available through Amazon/U.K., or through Amazon marketplace (used books) in the U.S. So, I forked over $35 and bought the book through the marketplace. And then, I waited. Would the book be in "new" condition, as described, or would I be the victim of an over-zealous bookseller prone to exaggeration?

It arrived on Saturday. I tore open the package as if it were a Christmas present. The book is gorgeous, just under two inches thick, and loaded with beautiful photographs. Even the slipcover is lovely, with raised lettering.

The book is organized in a non-traditional way: each chapter covers a different country relevant to the author's life, from Scandinavia, to Italy, to South Africa. The recipes are not elaborate haute cuisine, but the home cooking she experienced in these places. I look forward to trying many of them!

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie D. said...

Hoping against hope that my library has it...

June 06, 2006 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree: "Falling Cloudberries" is a wonderful name for a book! I hope you will blog about the recipes you'll be trying ...

June 06, 2006 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home