Monday, February 11, 2008

Cinnamon Cake Donuts

Tartelette and Peabody are hosting a donut blogging event on February 13, which gave me the perfect excuse to use up a big jug of oil that I had purchased last year so I could make . . . donuts. Only I didn't make them. I was too busy baking a ridiculous amount of cookies for Christmas.

After consulting with Master Chow, I decided to make cake donuts, because they are his favorite. I found a recipe that, surprisingly, required no yeast, in Beatrice Ojakangas' book,Great Old Fashioned American Desserts.

This time, I told myself, I'm going to get everything ready. I'm going to be organized, efficient. No goof-ups. And then I discovered that I was OUT of all-purpose flour. Yes, a Daring Baker, out of flour. I have about ten different types in my freezer, but you do not make cake donuts with garbanzo flour. Or barley flour. So I had to resort to my bread flour. Therefore, I can now tell you not to use bread flour for donuts - they still taste great, but they sure are heavy.
I made a couple other changes to the recipe: I increased the amount of nutmeg from 1/4 t. to a 1/2 t., and instead of vanilla extract, I added a full teaspoon of Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor, which gave the donuts that unique bakery flavor.

It's hard to go wrong with fried dough - people the world over just love this combination, so I encourage you to give a donut recipe a try!
Cake Doughnuts
Adapted from a recipe in Great Old Fashioned American Desserts
Makes about 16-20 donuts
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 T. vegetable oil
1 t. Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor
1 egg, slightly beaten
vegetable oil for frying
cinnamon and sugar, or powdered sugar, for dusting

In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (except the ingredients that you will use to dust the donuts). Combine the wet ingredients (except the oil for frying) in a large measuring cup. Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Knead dough briefly until it loses its stickiness. I found it helpful to refrigerate the dough for an hour before rolling and cutting, but the recipe doesn't require you to do so.

Make sure you have 2 to 3 inches deep of oil in a heavy pan. Preheat the frying oil to 375 F. Roll out the dough about 1/2 inch thick, and cut out with a floured donut cutter. Be sure to make that center hole big enough, or it will close up when you fry the donut. Carefully transfer the donuts, just a few at a time, to the hot oil. Fry them for about a minute on each side, until a deep golden brown. Set aside to drain, then dust in cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.

P.S. You can find Beatrice Ojakangas' book for a great price over at Jessica's Biscuit.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Brilynn said...

I hate when I run out of something! I know I'm currently way too low on white and brown sugar and that I should get some because next time I bake any I'll surely be out... and angry!

February 11, 2008 6:17 PM  
Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I had to GOOGLE the Buttery Flavouring to find out what it was...ever the curious..that's me :D These doughnuts are works of art :D

February 11, 2008 9:13 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I really wish I would have made cake donuts - these look great!

February 12, 2008 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

February 15, 2008 8:36 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I'm drooling... YUM!

February 15, 2008 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great donut post! We've seen a few other donut posts and we just can't seem to get enough! Love your cinnamon addition!

February 16, 2008 3:19 AM  
Blogger Peabody said...

You will have to try them again with all-purpose. But as long as they taste great that is all that matters.
Thanks for participating.

February 16, 2008 4:15 AM  
Blogger Cakelaw said...

These look great - cinnamon coated donuts are among the best.

February 16, 2008 5:05 AM  
Blogger Gretchen Noelle said...

Delicious!

February 16, 2008 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, great looking chubby donuts!

February 16, 2008 11:11 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Beautiful perfect shaped donuts. Well done.

February 18, 2008 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home