Monday, January 28, 2008

The Daring Bakers Strike Again! This Time - Lemon Meringue Pie

Jen, of the Canadian Baker, masterminded this month's challenge - Lemon Meringue Pie! As I've noted before, I am a sucker for citrus, and I was thrilled by this months challenge because it gave me an opportunity to use the Meyer lemons from my little Meyer lemon tree:
The very first pie I ever made was a lemon meringue pie: I was twelve years old, and my mom let me plan and make a meal for the family, all by myself. I made a roast chicken, twice-baked potatoes, and a lemon meringue pie. I have to tell you, much to everyone's surprise, that pie was perfect. And it tasted good, too.Other than the curd, I think my favorite part of the recipe was the all butter crust - it was easy to work with, very crispy, and was still crisp the next morning. I know, because I had a piece of pie for breakfast. But I wouldn't use this crust on a lemon meringue pie again - I think it would be better in a really sweet pecan pie, or maybe even a pot pie of some sort.

Lemon Meringue Pie can be quite challenging for those who have not baked much: you have to work with a pastry crust, make a meringue, and temper eggs for the filling. While the recipe called for putting the cooled filling in a cool crust, and then instructed us to top the cooled curd with meringue, I've learned from sad prior experience to put the meringue on a HOT filling. This helps cook the bottom of the egg whites, and reduces the amount of clear fluid that builds up between the curd and the meringue (known as "weeping".)

I don't know that I would put this particular recipe on the repeat list, but I'm so glad that Jen picked this for January's Challenge. If you want to see and learn more, go over to the Daring Baker's Blogroll. And for the recipe, be sure to check Jen's site. I can hardly wait for the next challenge!

Labels:

32 Comments:

Blogger Veron said...

look at that luscious filling. Gorgeous pie!

January 28, 2008 10:14 AM  
Blogger Sheltie Girl said...

The pie looks wonderful and tasty. Great job!

Natalie @ Gluten A Go go

January 28, 2008 10:26 AM  
Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

Madam.... oh I just fall in love with your lemon meringue pie....absolutely divine!

January 28, 2008 11:04 AM  
Blogger zorra said...

I did also add the Meringue on the hot filling.
I like your lemons. Mine, also directly from my own tree, never looks so nice. Do you treat the tree?

January 28, 2008 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job!

January 28, 2008 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, look at those curly peaks! How beautiful! I'm impressed at your 12 year old self making this, that's very impressive for tweenager!

January 28, 2008 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great looking pie!

January 28, 2008 12:45 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Lovely!

January 28, 2008 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably the only thing better than Meyer lemons is home-grown Meyer lemons. Beautiful pie!

January 28, 2008 1:13 PM  
Blogger Suzana Parreira said...

The pie looks great - and what a nice filling! This LMP was really challenging. Next time, I'll be sure to add my meringue on the hot filling.

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a nice note. :)

January 28, 2008 2:14 PM  
Blogger Laura Rebecca said...

Your pie is GORGEOUS! I love your heaps of fluffy meringue and that you used Meyer lemons.

January 28, 2008 2:15 PM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

Hello, everyone! It's great to have so many visitors, and it keeps me motivated to do even more baking! I'm not big into decorating my creations, like some of you are, but I learn new things all the time.

As for my Meyer lemon tree, the only thing I give it is diluted fish emulsion every once in a while. That really increased production this year, from my usual 2 lemons to over 20!

January 28, 2008 2:22 PM  
Blogger Sabra said...

Great meringue topping! I wonder how you got the top to look so nice and shiny and oozy? Wonder if you beat for less time than I did.

January 28, 2008 3:00 PM  
Blogger Tempered Woman said...

Well your pie definitely looks great~ congrats. But you're a pro. I can't imagine coming up with such a great meal at the age of 12- WOW!

January 28, 2008 3:17 PM  
Blogger Dagmar said...

It's beautiful! And how lucky you are to have your own lemons!!!

January 28, 2008 3:44 PM  
Blogger Brilynn said...

I'm so jealous of your lemon tree!

I've never actually tried meyer lemons before.

January 28, 2008 5:41 PM  
Blogger Dawn0fTime said...

It looks great! The meringue has a really nice gloss!

January 28, 2008 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a successful DB challenge to me! Love it!

January 28, 2008 7:54 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Looks delicious! Having a tree at arm's length - how wonderful! Although I have never had meyer lemons, either, my mouth is watering!

January 28, 2008 8:27 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

Meyer lemons must this pie exquisite! Beautiful job!

January 28, 2008 9:18 PM  
Blogger Gretchen Noelle said...

Your billowing meringue looks absolutely fabulous!!!

January 29, 2008 12:55 AM  
Blogger KayKat said...

*wow*! The meringue flames are awesome. As is the lemon curd.

Yay!

January 29, 2008 1:03 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

What a wonderful looking pie!!

January 29, 2008 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful job! I'm a little jealous of your Meyer lemon tree, though!

January 29, 2008 6:56 PM  
Blogger Miss Ifi said...

I think your pie looks AMAZING!!! congratulations!

January 29, 2008 8:24 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I'm so very envious of your Meyer Lemon tree. And your pie is gorgeous!

January 30, 2008 10:46 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

I love how you used a glass dish so you can see the crust. It looks so pretty, and all those foamy waves on top. Wonderful Job!!

January 30, 2008 6:15 PM  
Blogger Dolores said...

It's fascinating to me to learn for how many people LMP was their first foray into baking (for me it was peanut butter cookies). Congratulations... I think you've got one of the best looking full-sized pies this month (and after two days of reading and commenting, sniffling and sneezing, I can attest there are a lot of 'em out there).

January 31, 2008 1:49 AM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

Madam Chow says:

Thanks to all of you for visiting and commenting. My little tree is about the size of a small ficus, and is currently inside because it's too cold for it to survive outdoors. I love having visitors, and I go and check out your websites frequently, and I enjoy discovering new bloggers. Thank you!

January 31, 2008 12:58 PM  
Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh my goodness, your pie looks like sunny, snowy heaven!! You got a beautiful pie!!

February 01, 2008 2:45 PM  
Blogger Lunch Buckets said...

That settles it. I'm getting a lemon tree!

February 02, 2008 2:30 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

I love how the Meyer lemons worked out! And your meringue is beautiful!

February 03, 2008 6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home