Thursday, January 03, 2008

Another Winning Cookie: Dorie Greenspan's Chocolate Chunkers

A Sea of Chocolate Heaven

These cookies accomplished a number of things: (1) they helped me clean out my pantry of an alarming amount of chocolate that I needed to use up; (2) they kept me interested in Christmas baking; and, (3) they put me into a chocolate coma. Can life get much better than that?
I am so glad I followed Dorie's instructions and used premium chocolate (the white chocolate chips that I used were Nestle, but I didn't skimp on the other chocolates). I used a combination of Ghirardelli, ScharffenBerger, and Valhrona.
These cookies are dense, gooey, and intensely chocolatey. The white chocolate chips provide a startling contrast to the richness of the dark chocolates. I used dried apricots and pecans in the recipe, but next time I might try craisins like Brilynn did over at Jumbo Empanadas. At My Feasts, Maya used raisins and pecans. I don't like cookie dough (I know, weird), but I had to restrain myself from eating this batter out of the bowl - that's how good it was.
A few final thoughts. I thought that the apricots were a tad bitter, so I'm going to try another fruit next time. I also think these cookies are not particularly kid friendly (especially with the apricots), unless the child in question has a taste for something other than milk chocolate. Finally, don't make the cookies too small. I found that a golf-ball sized blob of dough gave me a lot of cookies, yet maintained the gooey consistency inside.

Now THIS is chocolate cookie dough!

Chocolate Chunkers
Adapted from a recipe in Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan
1/3 cup all purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Droste Dutch processed cocoa)
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking powder
3 tablespoon unsalted butter – cut into pieces
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs (at room temperature)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
6 oz. white chocolate chopped
1 ½ coarsely chopped nuts ( I used pecans)
1 cup dark or golden raisins, plump dried apricots, or another dried fruit that you like.

Center rack in the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mats (don't skip this step).

Sift together flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder. Melt butter with unsweetened and bittersweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. The chocolate should be smooth and shiny. Set on counter to cool.

Beat eggs and sugar on medium high speed until mixture is pale and foamy. Reduce speed, add vanilla. Then add cooled melted chocolate, and mix only until incorporated. Add dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Dough will be thick and shiny. Try not to eat all the dough out of the bowl.

Add semisweet and white chocolate chunks, nuts, and raisins. Drop dough onto baking sheets, making each cookie about the size of a golf ball. Leave an inch between dough. Bake for 10-12 minutes, but start to check your cookies at about 7-8 minutes. It's very hard to tell if a chocolate cookie is "done," and burned chocolate tastes terrible. Dorie recommends baking until the "tops of the cookies look a little dry."
Cool cookies. These freeze very well.

5 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

I haven't made these yet. Yours look wonderful!

January 03, 2008 3:02 PM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

Thank you! I'm finding that brown is a very difficult color to photograph, but I'm glad that they look appealing. They were absolutely delicious.

January 03, 2008 3:07 PM  
Blogger Brilynn said...

I really like these with dried cherries as well. You've got me craving these, I've got to make them again!

January 06, 2008 5:18 PM  
Blogger betty geek said...

Um, I so not using apricots after reading your blog. I don't like the bitterness either. Maybe I will eliminate fruit altogether and just stick with premium chocolate and pecans. :) I love your blog, btw. Need to add you to my blog roll. Have a good weekend!

September 12, 2008 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Brandon said...

This cookie is really mouth watering. It is perfect for snack,gift and kid's parties. :D

January 16, 2012 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home