Monday, October 22, 2007

Baking Dorie's Chocolate Muffins


These are for you if: (1) you love chocolate, (2) would like to find an excuse to eat it for breakfast, and (3) don't like baked goods that are too sweet. I definitely like chocolate, and have a fondness for muffins that don't make my teeth ache from too much sugar, so I thought I'd give these a try. I uploaded the photos before my entire computer crashed, so I have something to blog about!

The pros: a tender crumb, moist, crunchy top, and they freeze well. The cons: I will definitely switch to semisweet chocolate next time (they need it), and double wrap these muffins if you freeze them, or they pick up every flavor in the freezer.

I used Scharffen Berger bittersweet chocolate:




I made a couple of adaptations: I added 1.5 teaspoons of espresso coffee crystals to augment the chocolate flavor, and I sprinkled turbinado sugar on top of the muffins before baking.

Chocolate Chocolate-Chunk Muffins
Adapted from Dorie Greespan's Baking, From My Home to Yours

6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate (next time I'll use semisweet), coarsely chopped
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted (I used Droste brand)
1 1/2 teaspoons espresso coffee crystals
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling
Center a rack in the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter or spray a 12- slot muffin pan, or line with muffin liners. Place pan on a baking sheet.
Melt butter and half the chopped chocolate in a bowl over simmering water (or in the microwave). Add the coffee crystals and stir to dissolve. Take off heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla together until well combined.
Pour the buttermilk mixture and the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix gently but quickly to blend, but do not over mix as this will toughen the muffins. A few lumps are OK! Stir in the remaining chopped chocolate.
Divide batter among the muffin tins. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a thin skewer inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Cool pan on a rack for 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Yum! My chocolate lover taste tasters will be happy campers with these babies!

October 23, 2007 10:22 PM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

I used 70% chocolate, and I think these would be phenomenal with something between 50 to 60% chocolate.

October 28, 2007 9:35 AM  
Blogger Brilynn said...

You can't go wrong with Dorie, I've made these before and loved them!

October 29, 2007 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home