Thursday, April 26, 2007

Pantry Cooking, part 2, or Ye Olde Bacardi Rum Cake


Like many food bloggers, I bake from scratch. At least 99.999% of the time. The other .001%, I use a little help. I am not a snob, except perhaps when it comes to Parmigiano Reggiano. Oh, okay, I'm a snob when it comes to that.
Enter, the tried and true Bacardi Rum Cake. I have been making this cake for over 30 years, having learned to make it at my mum's knee. Her nickname for it was "sliver cake" - you have "just a little sliver," again and again, until you realize you've eaten half the cake. Every time I make it, someone asks me for the recipe, even avowed non-bakers. That's how good this is.
This cake keeps wonderfully, and freezes equally well - if there is any cake left over to freeze, that is!
Bacardi Rum Cake
Cake
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 18-1/2 ounce yellow cake mix (my mom and I prefer Duncan Hines brand)
1 1-3/4 ounce (4-serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold milk, water, or half-and-half
1/2 cup vegetable oil, or melted butter (I always use butter)
1/2 cup Barcardi dark rum
Glaze
1 stick butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark Barcardi rum
Cake:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan (this step is very important, or you will have trouble getting the cake out. Baking sprays work very well). Sprinkle nuts on bottom of pan. Combine all cake ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until cake separates from sides of plan and a testing skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool in pan for about 15 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate. Prick top with a skewer. Drizzle glaze (see below) slowly over top of cake, allowing it to soak in between applications. Use brush or spoon to put extra dripping back on cake.
Glaze:
Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Rum - yum! hee hee - I don't know if my cake would come out even if I had rum sitting on my counter waiting to be put into a recipe!

April 26, 2007 10:11 PM  
Blogger Freya said...

SOunds and looks fabulous! It's the rum that makes it!

April 30, 2007 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha...I hear you on the other .001%. Especially when it comes to bread mixes for me. One look at all that fancy packaging and I'm "bagged for good"!

April 30, 2007 11:43 AM  
Anonymous gale Reeves said...

I linked your blog. This cake is delicious! Thanks for posting this recipe.

November 29, 2009 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home