Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Passion Fruit (Lilikoi) Quantities

One of my favorite flavors is passion fruit, or lilikoi as it is known in Hawaii. These little fruits can be extremely expensive - I just bought ONE for $2.99. Ouch. The reason I did this was to conduct a little experiment.

Many dessert recipes call for a certain number of passion fruit, which are only available seasonally. Frozen passion fruit pulp, on the other hand, can be found year-round (Goya brand), and is a whole lot more affordable. So, I needed to know how much pulp was in one average fruit, so that I could use frozen pulp. So, how much is in there?

One fruit = approximately 1 Tablespoon, or 1/2 ounce.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2.99 for ONE??!! Double ouch, and I hope to be able to get my hands on some of the fresh stuff when I fly back this winter. What I miss eating is the lilikoi chiffon pie....sigh

September 20, 2006 2:41 AM  
Blogger Madam Chow said...

Yes, outrageous isn't it? I'm planning on making a lilikoi curd tart. Mmmm.

September 20, 2006 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home